Digital Outback Photo Contest #024
Contest December 2006: LightZone
RAW contest #4
sponsored by LightCrafts (producer
also our previous contests.
18 posted (contest closed)
1. Contest is open for submission till a maximum
of 30 entries
LZN entries (so that you can
start learning and improving)
3. Gallery with current entries open
A Note on Copyright:
This image can only(!) be used in the context of this contest and the
only site that has the right to publish images is Digital Outback Photo
(or other sites that were granted permission, in this case also LightCrafts).
If you want to use this image for any other purposes (e.g. marketing)
Again all of our readers can
share all(!) imaging steps (including selective corrections) with other
readers. How that?
You will just send in a LightZone LZN file and this file contains all
on this image. If you don't own LightZone please install a demo version.
LightCrafts if your demo already expired. Also remember
that you can buy LightZone through our banner links and receive a discount.
(you help to sponsor our work at DOP).
The main goal is to share imaging techniques and visual
interpretations among all our readers.
We provide the original RAW file of the title image:
- Scene: Zion Canyon
- Camera: Leica M8
- Lens: Leica Summicron 50mm f/2.0
Note: the recorded white balance in the DNG is off
You produce your interpretation
(color, B&W, colorized) of this image
only LightZone 2.x or newer. Finally you send in only(!) your
final saved LZN file to us (the LZN file should be no larger than just
Your contest assignment
Your task is to create your interpretation
of the following properties:
- Download the original Leica M8 DNG RAW file from
here (read the above copyright
- Only LightZone 2.0 or newer maybe used
photo should be ready for print (including noise removal, dust removal,
crop, straighten, sharpening, cloning)
- You grant the free public use of your instructions used in the
- Name the LZN file like: first_lastname_m8_0539.lzn
- You may also add a short descriptive outline of your workflow in
your email. We plan to publish some selective samples.
- Do not send images (we will create them via your LZN files)
- Send only the LZN file and your full name to: email@example.com
Rules and procedures
- Contest is open for all people that do not work for or a in affiliation
with LightCrafts Inc.
- We will publish no more than about 30 different LZN files for all
readers to download
publish these entries even during the submission timeframe.
Don't just copy other entries
- We also published the LZN file used the create the title
- We created a gallery with images that we created using the published
LZN files (max 30)
The first time we publish two sample
files can be downloaded and even used as your
Both versions are created by Fabio Riccardi and tweaked
by Uwe Steinmueller
really enjoying these contests but this one was a real challenge.
is quite astounding how much detail in the shot
and so I looked to show this off. I also love the subtle tonal differences
across the image.
Getting a pleasing colour balance across the 3 zones
(cliffs, lit valley and the foreground) whilst lifting some of the
shadow detail required me to treat each of these areas almost as a
I've been quite aggressive with the sharpening which,
to my eye, really pulls out the detail on an A4 print but for larger
prints I would scale it back quite a bit.
A lot more editing steps than
I would normally use for a single image but the quality of the M8's
demands that some effort be put in to do it justice, I just hope
I have achieved that."