Note: Download the video for better viewing experience. This is only for your personal use permitted.
- It seems that you need to concentrate in the field on either photography or video as they are so different. Still your visual language will be shared between both art forms.
- We actually believe that we photographers can learn a lot from the vision of directors (e.g. David Lynch) and DPs. Also post processing techniques techniques from video can be helpful for photographs (color grading and such). On the other side we as photographers often know how to frame. Videos can get away with sub optimal framing because the frames only last seconds.
- We try to learn video by doing some short documentaries and more abstract clips. We think that documenting places in video can help to find the essence of this place. This may then help to capture photos to do the same thing. Because it is all an experiment only time will tell.
- Right now we try to learn the basics:
- How to shoot video
- How to edit videos
- We start with low expectations and go from there. At this point we are happy to get some short videos that are just "nice" for our level of experience.
Even if you may find that we covered video too much over the last few weeks rest assured that we think as photographers first. Getting started we had to dive into video making with all our energy but this won't change our dedication to still photography (unless Holywoold calls with big bucks :-) ).
Best you let us know (via email or forums) what you like us to cover in both worlds.
Uwe Steinmueller, August 2009