2008 is again a year with a Photokina in fall. In Photokina years some of the manufacturers plan major announcements for the Photokina. We mainly cover DSLR or similar cameras.
PMA 2008 Summary
There are so many good DSLRs in the 10-12MP range:
- Healthy competition
- Confusing at best
- A good time to concentrate on photographing and not so much waiting for the magic camera (you can buy them today).
The idea camera would likely be a blend of 5-10 models on the market.
- Now that most DSLRs have live view we also would like to get a Sony like swivel LCD monitor. Makes live view much more useful on a tripod.
- Anti shake sensors vs. lens image stabilization. We like that classic lens image stabilization also stabilizes the viewfinder image. On the other side in camera anti shake helps all the lenses.
- With the new announced Sony full frame chip we will see many more FF SLRs this and next year. We actually wait that one of the manufactures starts to create new camera designs with even larger sensors (e.g. 48mm x 36mm). Otherwise I think 25MP is the max we get out of our normal 35mm FF sensors (defraction limits kick in).
- Maybe more later this year. Overall we have really good printers now.
- Most new papers were announced in 2007. We like the new batch of Baryta papers a lot.
More to come at Photokina 2008. Will be interesting how Canon reacts to the stronger competition by Nikon, Sony and Samsung.
PMA 2008 Highlights
We report some findings directly from La Vegas (starting 1/30/2008)
"....The adapters provide the mechanical interface and precise flange-to-film plane distance required for proper focusing of Hasselblad lenses....allowing the photographer to use their existing Hasselblad V series lenses on the high-precision Mamiya 645AFD II...."
This seems to be a very unique lens for IR and UV photography (at $4,495 also quite expensive).
- New Pentax Lenses
- smc PENTAX DA* 200mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM will ship in March 2008
- smc PENTAX DA* 300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM will ship in May 2008
- smc PENTAX DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED will ship in May 2008
- smc PENTAX DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited will ship in April 2008
- smc PENTAX DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II will ship as a kit lens with PENTAX K200D in March 2008
More about these Pentax lenses is covered at DPR.
- New Canon Lenses
- EF200mm f/2L IS USM (scheduled to be available in April at an estimated retail price of $5,999.00)
- EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM (scheduled to be available in May for an estimated retail price of $11,999.00
- New Nikon Lenses
- AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
- AF-S 60mm f/2.8 Micro-NIKKOR
- PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED
- Epson R1900 (announced)
- HP Photosmart Pro B8850 (announced, PDF)
This printer is a slightly modified B9180 (not network port, LED instead of LCD and supports paper up to 0.7mm)
- we hope the papers from 2007 consolidate.
- Harman FB AL Warm Tone (should ship end of March)
From the press release "...Nik Software's Viveza is a powerful and intuitive software tool designed to enable photographers of all skill levels to precisely select and
control the light and color in photographic images while working within Photoshop. ..."
We plan to review this software as soon as we get version.
You know some latest news?
If you hear any news then please send us a note: firstname.lastname@example.org
PMA 2008 coverage by other sites