Photographers who want to sell images spend quite
a bit of time working on presentation portfolios.
The classic binders (e.g. Itoya or Prat) are very flexible but
the plastic sleeves are in the way to show the full beauty of
a print. The Moab
Chinle Digital Book is a nice solution but requires
special sized Moab paper.
Photo Book Creator is a different solution that
allows a permanent binding of smaller photo books and portfolios
(10-30 images, depends on the paper thickness).
How does the binding work? "Steel U Channel layered with thin
resin. Resin liquify with heat then absorbs into the pores of
the paper when the resin cools it becomes part of the paper giving
the bind a strong bond"
The process to bind a portfolio is fast and pretty easy:
1. Align a pile of prints as precise as possible
2. Insert the pictures into your Unibind cover (quite a selection
of sizes, colors, openings and thickness. Best you visit the
Unibind web site for more information).
3. Plug in the Unibind Photo Book Creator (has no switch)
4. Place binder as shown here:
Photo Book Creator
5. The weight of the binder starts
the process (light gets red)
6. After about 90 seconds light
7. Leave it at least 60 more
seconds in the machine
8. Remove carefully and let the
binder cool off
Here is a sample binder we created
(used the single binder that comes with the machine:
Binder cover with opening
The maximum size right now is
12x12". We try to convince them to make a 14x11" version. But
this also requires that we get this size from paper manufacturers.
1. Photo Book Creator about $99
2. Binders 3mm at 11" wide
x 8.5" tall about $7.50 (if ordered in quantities at 10,
you have to call Unibind sales)
- Use thinner but quality paper
- Paper should be flexible
- Paper should have a good white on the back and no manufacturer
- Use captions for your portfolio images
We find the Unibind Photo Album Creator a very nice solution
for the creation of smaller photo books and portfolios. Finally
a presentation solution that is easy to use, nice looking and
Note: On our last trip to
Europe we showed a few portfolios to a larger group of people
and they liked the presentation a lot.
You can order here.
The tool has to be bought through one of
their resellers. For additional binders you can call the company's
phone number. Product is right now only available in the US.