What the heck do we call a "Walk Portfolio"? Please check out our first Walk Portfolio.
Note: All photos were shot with the Canon 1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark III and 40D.
Here are some recent examples:
These "Walk Portfolios" are also very important for our workshops:
DOP HDR workshop: "Capture more Light"
These workshops actually teach how to capture scenes concentrating on exploring the local environment and not too much worrying about the current light. How that?
- By capturing multiple bracketed frames we have in many cases the photographic material to handle even more challenging light situations.
- The image capturing process is then complemented by post-processing techniques that allow us (and of course our students) to make the best out of this material.
When we photograph we want to enjoy the scene and capture things we like (can be even just for fun). We are not thinking about creating the "great" gallery print. This does not mean that some of the shots may not be used for more ambitious portfolios.
Walk Portfolio #009: Vegas Impressions 2008/01
All photos were taken 1/27+30/2008.
Location: Las Vegas Strip and Downtown
Location History: We visited part of the location already in the past but never photographed.
Revisit planned: Maybe.
Weather: Sunshine with some harsh shades (quite windy)
Photographers: Bettina + Uwe Steinmueller
Walk Duration: about 240 minutes net (2 walks)
Camera(s): Canon 1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark III and 40D
Lens(es): Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS and 24-105 f/4 IS
Images Taken: about 221 pictures (with 733 bracketed exposures)
Storage needed: about 12 GB for RAW files
Time for post-processing: about 12 hours for an initial portfolio
Tools uses for Editing:
- Photomatix (Exposure Merge and Tonemapping)
- LightZone for Relight
- PTLens or Kekus LensFix
- Our own Tonality Tuning Kit 2.0 and EasyS Plus Sharpening 3.0 (yes, we use our own tools :-))
- DOP Detail Extractor
Important Techniques used:
- Highlight Recovery (read more here)
- Exposure Merging (read more)
- Tonemapping (Detail Enhancer)
- Lens Correction
- Perspective corrections (we plan to publish our personal technique soon)
- Photoshop layers
Here is our first draft of the "Vegas Impressions 2008/01" portfolio.
As mentioned before we will share in our workshops all the techniques we used to create these portfolios.