What the heck do we call a "Walk Portfolio"? Please check out our first Walk Portfolio.
Note: All photos were shot with the Canon 1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark III and Canon G9.
Here are some recent examples:
These "Walk Portfolios" are also very important for our workshops:
DOP HDR workshop: "Capture more Light"
These workshops actually teach how to capture scenes concentrating on exploring the local environment and not too much worrying about the current light. How that?
- By capturing multiple bracketed frames we have in many cases the photographic material to handle even more challenging light situations.
- The image capturing process is then complemented by post-processing techniques that allow us (and of course our students) to make the best out of this material.
When we photograph we want to enjoy the scene and capture things we like (can be even just for fun). We are not thinking about creating the "great" gallery print. This does not mean that some of the shots may not be used for more ambitious portfolios.
Walk Portfolio #010: SF Industrial 2008/02
All photos were taken 2/18/2008.
Location: San Francisco Industrial Region
Location History: Our last industrial portfolio was photographed nearly at the exact locations
Revisit planned: Many times
Weather: Overcast and later sunshine
Photographers: Bettina + Uwe Steinmueller
Walk Duration: about 120 minutes net (2 locations)
Camera(s): Canon 1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark III and Canon G9
Lens(es): Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS, G9 builtin zoom
Images Taken: 1D3: 3x80 (240), 1Ds3: 3x89 (267), G9: 49
Storage needed: about 10 GB for RAW files
Time for post-processing: about 8 hours for an initial portfolio
Tools uses for Editing:
Important techniques used:
- Highlight Recovery (read more here)
- Exposure Merging (read more)
- Tonemapping (Detail Enhancer)
- Lens Correction
- Perspective corrections (read more here)
- Photoshop layers
- Local Contrast enhancing
- Grunging (we show techniques at our "Capture more Light" workshops)
Here is our first draft of the "SF Industrial 2008/02" portfolio.
As mentioned before we will share in our workshops all the techniques we used to create these portfolios.